Translate

Search This Blog

Monday, November 2, 2009

Ralph Nalph and Uncle Fert


One of my biggest joys in life is watching children develop into the people they were meant to be. From a very early age, their personalities emerge and their tastes become more refined.

Evidence surfaces in the most unusual places. The one I'm about to relate surfaces in prayer.

Every night before we went to sleep, my three youngest children and I said our evening prayers. In those prayers we asked God to bless Mommy and Daddy, all the grandparents (which we mentioned by name), siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, and neighbors.

At the end of the prayer, I always asked each one of the kids if they wanted to say a special prayer for anybody else. "Yes," Lindsey said," I want to say a special prayer for Ralph Nalph." She was 3 years old at the time.

Having never heard of Ralph Nalph, I stifled a laugh and we all said a special prayer for Ralph. My grandmother had recently been dating (or was married to) a Ralph at the time. I thought Lindsey made up a last name for him and decided to say a prayer for the old man.

Uncle Fert was another deal altogether. I'd never heard of Uncle Fert and didn't want to ruin the mood by asking her.

Oddly, we prayed for these two people for many nights in a row before they became a memory. Just recently I came across a Happy Days post about Ralph Malph who was played by Donny Most. Lindsey was 3 years old when that show ended. I always though Ralph Malph was Ralph Mouth, so I never put two and two together. Funny thing about him is that Lindsey has always had a thing for red-headed guys. Many of her guy friends have red hair.

And as far as Uncle Fert goes, I just did a google search on him. Three Uncle Ferts show up. So if any of you are reading this blog, know that in 1984, a little girl was praying for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Help For Single Parents

PlanetUSA

Tell Others About This Blog